Wednesday, December 15, 2004

You're never going to believe this.....

I had a phone call yesterday morning (Tuesday) from yet another person at Social Services. She completely wrong-footed me by saying, after she'd introduced herself, 'As we prefer not to schedule two visits every morning, how would it work out if we lengthened your shower call, and asked the same worker to do your breakfast after that?'

I'm not often speechless......

Not cancelling my showers. Not asking my breakfast carer to do two things in the same space of time. Not arguing with me. Not patronising me. Was this woman really from Social Services??

Apparently it was as a result of lobbying by a combination of the District Nurse, her boss, and my former care manager, all of whom are very stubborn and articulate, and who, as far as I am concerned, deserve sainthood.

I got my showers back!!!

(corks popping, streamers, klaxons, people singing 'For They Are Jolly Good Fellows', etc)

Phew. Well, perhaps I can relax and enjoy Christmas now. Don't get me wrong, I was always absolutely positive I would get them back - but what daunted me was the amount of hassle I would have to go through before I did. Just because I can stand up for myself, and lobby for what I think is right, doesn't mean I have the physical resources to spare for it.

So I am sitting here with a celebratory glass (pineapple juice, unfortunately - I didn't think I ought to risk the wine after all!), listening to my favourite cheesy Christmas CD. It's all the real crooners, like Bing Crosby and Perry Como, and always makes me feel I should be an American 60s housewife, in an open-plan house in the suburbs with big picture windows, celebrating with my two perfect children and my executive husband.

Happy Christmas, everyone :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray Heather! I'm delighted. It's Vicki by the way, I forgot my password and then they told me my name was wrong. I can't ever get these things right - too many passwords!
Anyway I'm really thrilled you got this shower thing sorted out so quickly. Where would we be without friends?
I'm desperately knitting a scarf, without any real hope of getting it finished in time for Christmas. I'm just too slow.
Love the jokes by the way.
Keep smiling, keep knitting
Love,
Vicki