Sunday, August 20, 2006

Fat Birds Knit Bigger

Well, that wasn't quite what she said, but if I tell you that it was said by a bewildered participant in the ridiculous Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat - during a discussion on digestive processes and lavatorial habits - I'm sure you can guess which rhyming word I've replaced...

Thank you to all the people who have voted for me (and will hopefully continue to do so) in "The Addicts Choice Knitting Blog Awards". Don't forget to keep voting for me until August 30th.

Can I also recommend voting for Odd Ball Knitting and Knit the Knits in the Minor Categories.

Also, Richard has excavated the second half of my bookshelf, which means that a whole load of other stuff is up for grabs on the Prunings page. Items are going pretty quickly, so go over there now while you think of it :) I've learnt my lesson from last week's postage costs; things weigh a lot more than I imagined! Standard postage is now £1 per item to a maximum of £5 per order for UK buyers.

Anyway, on to the knitting content! I had a chat with Debora Bradley at Simply Knitting this week about the feasibility of my contributing some plus-size patterns. I'd been a bit wary of suggesting this before, as I know that models' fees are a consideration in the budget for the issue, and I wasn't sure whether the budget would stretch to an extra model just for one pattern.

However, she's very positive about the idea, and has asked for some sketches. I have plenty of ideas for items, and lots of practical information from my own experience and from my design books, but I want to canvas opinion before I send anything in.

So - do you regularly knit yourself patterns with a bust size of 42" or larger? Do you have strong views on the sort of patterns you would like to see in sizes up to a 60" bust? If you do, then please leave a comment or email me. I'd like to be able to send in patterns which are likely to be popular with the knitters who will make them.

DSCF4897

All this excitement is too much for Tigger...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea about the larger knits (certainly something that I think a lot of people would like to see more of, judging by the Angel Yarns forum). Can't give any thoughts as I am a size 16, so not sufficiently gifted in the bust if you see waht I mean.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great idea too, being somewhat fluffy myself. I'd also like to put in a plea for wearable/stylish designs for ladies who don't want to flash their cleavages like they did when they were twenty-somethings!

Anonymous said...

Please, please more larger sizes - sick to death that most patterns are for the less than well endowed.

Anonymous said...

Could I make a plea for bust shaping and wrap fronts? Not all of us who are well endowed in the bust department are equally gifted around the back - I would like to knit something that fitted at the front without bagginess at the back.

Happy to flash the cleavage - draws the eye away from the chins!