Sunday, December 31, 2006

Who Ya Gonna Call?

I've received an advance copy of the February issue of Simply Knitting (lovely stitch markers as the free gift!). I'm delighted to see how well my crocheted Stashbuster Serape has been staged and photographed. I was really in two minds, when I sent it off, about whether it should be shorter and wider. It looks most luxurious on the model, however, and I'm glad I left it as it was. It's designed as a project for which you choose your own yarns from stash (obviously). Just in case anyone wants to know what yarns I used for mine, here they are:
  • Elle Monet (278 – Pisarro)
  • Texere Recycled Yarn (discontinued)
  • Red Heart Plush (9536 Lt Purple)
  • Wendy Precious Moments (197) (discontinued)
  • Rowan Calmer (484 Lucky)
  • Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (502 Pea Green)
  • King Cole Merino Blend DK (69 Olive)
  • Cygnet Wool-Rich 4-ply (0268 Olive)
I also supplied an alternative knitted pattern for this, which is something I'm considering doing in future in my more simply constructed items. If a garment is made out of basic shapes, then it should be just as easy to make those shapes by knitting or by crochet. Of course the crochet will take more yarn (about a third as much again seems to be the accepted wisdom), so the crochet versions will drape a little differently; but I like to give people the choice...

Still on the subject of using what you have, instead of buying new, I have to share with you a few lines from a book which my sister found for me on her bookshelves. It's from 1943, and is called New Life For Old Clothes by Gertrude Mason. I imagine it would have been a remarkably popular book during the War – with clothes and yarn both being rationed. This comes at the end of a description of how to create a bath robe from a bathing wrap and an out-of-date swimsuit:
Remove the skirt from the swim suit and cut the lower part of the sleeves from it. Cut the facings for the lapels from the body part of the suit, using the front of the pattern as a guide. The trunks should provide sufficient material for belt and pocket, and a small back collar if required.
I know that bathing costumes used to be more decorous, but it sounds like this one was positively Victorian :)

The other book she brought for me is rather battered. It has lost its cover and the first and last few pages, so I have no idea what it's called or when exactly it was published. Judging by the copious photographs, it looks as if it comes from the 50s. It also contains advice on unravelling sweaters to use the wool for something else. I particularly enjoyed the child's pixie hood, made from a cut-up felted sweater!

I used to love pixie hoods. I looked like a gnome in them, but I still loved them...

DSCF0113

"You did want it unravelling, didn't you?"

3 comments:

Mary-Lou said...

The pattern sounds interesting, and I definitely need to bust some stash! - look forward to seeing it!
Happy New year!

Mary Anne said...

Heather,
congrats on having another design published! It sounds intriguing. The Happiest of New Years to you,and Tigger of course.

sweta singh said...

If you want a babe from the house ofCall Girls in Lucknowthere are a few things you should know well before making a booking. Firstly our agency here at your city. In simple words is a cut above the rest because of the highly professional services we provide to our clients. Check our other Services...
Call Girls in Lucknow
Call Girls in Lucknow
Call Girls in Lucknow
Call Girls in Lucknow
Call Girls in Mahipalpur
Call Girls in Mahipalpur
Call Girls in Mahipalpur